Sunday, September 9, 2012

Stir Fry of True Deliciousness

Photobucket

I'm behind in posting recipes I created but I made this yesterday and it was so good that I want to make sure I don't forget what I did. The only meat we had in the house was a single chicken breast, so I had to get creative. I was inspired by a recipe in one of the magazines we receive in the mail thanks to someone named Shaneka who apparently likes celebrity gossip but also Woman's Day.

I used
1 chicken breast
1/2 cup (before cooking) brown rice
1/2 a largish onion
1 small green bell pepper
Approximately half of what was probably a 16-oz package of frozen broccoli
A few tbsp. canola oil

and for the sauce,
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1-2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. mild Indian seasoning
1/2 tsp. spicy Thai seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. butter

This recipe makes enough for two people.

1. Cook the brown rice according to the package.
2. Cook the chicken in a few tbsp. of canola oil on a skillet on the stove. Once it's tender, cut it into small pieces and cook until a little brown and crispy.
3. While the chicken and rice are cooking, chop the onion into pieces, put it in another skillet with some canola oil, and cook until it starts browning. Then chop up the bell pepper and add it and the broccoli to the onion. Cook until the broccoli is hot.
4. Add all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl, stir some, and microwave it until the butter melts, then stir well.
5. Divide the rice, veggies, and chicken onto plates, and then pour the sauce over them.

"That was delicious. I didn't even mind that there were vegetables in it because it tasted so good." - my husband (he likes at least several vegetables but is not overly fond of broccoli)

2 comments:

  1. sounds rather yummy, and I'm not a huge fan of broccoli either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, stir fry...one of the best go-to dinners and always great for stretching meat. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete